Master Gardener Job Description
The master gardener program is designed to develop a program delivery system and necessary teaching resources to assist the Horticulture Program Assistant in meeting the needs of the county residents with horticultural related problems.
- Participate actively in training sessions and keep up-to-date on the latest horticulture information.
- Answer consumer questions on horticulture related information for both phone consultations and personal contacts.
- Provide reliable, unbiased information Always representing both sides of an issue.
- Promote enrollment in Cooperative Extension.
- Maintain records of program contacts monthly.
- Teach basic horticultural classes to appropriate community groups
Assists with any or all of the following options:
- Washington County Fair Booth
- Soil Testing Clinics
- Plant Diagnostic Clinics
- Basic knowledge of gardening
- Interest in helping people
- Ability to communicate
- Knowledge of community resources
- Belief in the value of extension’s educational programs
Training and/or Resources to be Provided:
- Master Gardener training sessions
- Master Gardener reference manuals available for use in office or home purchase
- Horticulture library in office
- Consultations with extension staff
- Monthly organizational/ educational meetings
- Master Gardener training session(15 weeks- one weekday per week, 5 hours per session. First year mandatory – following years optional with individual sessions up to the discretion of the participants).
- Two half days per month of volunteer service (8 hours)
- Monthly organizational/ educational meetings (3 hours)
- Participate in training programs in all aspects of basic horticulture.
- Learn new skills and sharpen old ones.
- Meet and work with other individuals interested in horticulture
- Acquire valuable work experience (a personnel file is started for each volunteer and includes the initial application, a record of completed training, an annual informal evaluation of job performance and copies of all reference letters sent to prospective employers).
- Receive basic program materials provided at no cost.
Volunteer Application Click Here for PDF
Last updated April 24, 2015